Monday, August 1, 2011

Ramadan: Day 1


Today is the first day of Ramadan! When I was young, I remember at the musjid we would be reminded to take a moment to remember all those that we had lost since the last Ramadan. Each year as we enter this holy month, we should first be thankful that we have been given another opportunity to attain its blessings and have to remember that this could be our last. So, let us strive to attain perfection in our fasts, in our prayers, in our actions, in our words, in our thoughts and in our intentions. May Allah make this road easy for us and may we open our hearts and humble ourselves before our Creator in this month that is "better than a thousand months." 

In one effort to make the most of this Ramadan, I will try to post a duaa, story or ayah that I love. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. The following selection is from my favorite duaa book, "The Abridged Al-Hizbul-Azam"  under the section relating to Sunnah duaas for Monday:

"O Allah, You know my secrets and what I reveal, so accept my apology. You know what I need, so grant what I ask. You know what is hidden in me, so forgive my sins. O Allah, I ask You for faith that is fixed in my heart and true belief which makes me sure that nothing can happen to me except what You have written in my fate, and make me satisfied with what you have destined for me.

Hazrat Ayesha narrates that the Prophet said: "When Prophet Adam was sent to Earth, he came to the Kaba and performed two rakat Salah, Then Allah put this duaa in his heart (along with the assurance) and He willaccept the duaa of anyone who asks in this manner and will grant their important needs. (Al-Dur al-Manthur)"

I like this duaa because in the first sentence, we approach Allah like a friend, as someone who knows everything about us. Even the things we are ashamed to admit or have forgotten, Allah knows these things about us and we ask for forgiveness for our weekness. We finish the duaa asking for a faith that does not mourn the things that we did not get in this life becuase we know that whatever happens to us, it has happened under Allah's watch and we ask for the wisdom to be satisfied with that which we have been given.

May Allah accept this duaa from all of us. Ameen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment